Lexaria Bioscience Corp. (NASDAQ: LEXX) is a global innovator in drug delivery platforms. The company’s patented technology, DehydraTECH™, improves the way
active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs) enter the bloodstream by promoting healthier oral ingestion methods and increasing the effectiveness of fat-soluble active molecules. DehydraTECH promotes fast-acting, less expensive and more effective oral drug delivery and has been thoroughly evaluated through in vivo, in vitro and human clinical testing.
DehydraTECH is covered by 27 issued and more than 50 pending patents in over 40 countries around the world. Lexaria’s first patent was issued by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office in October 2016 (US 9,474,725 B1), providing 20 years of patent protection expiring June 2034. Multiple patents have been awarded since then and are expected in the future.
Lexaria has a collaborative research agreement with the National Research Council (NRC), the Canadian government’s premier research and technology organization. The company has filed for patent protection for specific delivery of nicotine, vitamins, NSAIDs, testosterone, estrogen, cannabinoids, terpenes, PDE5 inhibitors (with brand names like Viagra), tobacco and more.
Lexaria began developing DehydraTECH in 2014 and has since continued to strengthen and broaden the technology. The company has no plans to create or sell Lexaria-branded products containing controlled substances. Instead, Lexaria licenses its technology to other companies around the world to offer consumers the best possible performance across an array of ingestible product
The company’s technology is best thought of as an additional layer that providers of consumer supplements, prescription and non-prescription drugs, nicotine and CBD products can utilize to improve the effectiveness of their own existing or planned new offerings. Lexaria has licensed DehydraTECH to multiple companies, including a world-leading tobacco producer for the research
and development of smokeless, oral-based nicotine products, and for use in industries that produce cannabinoid beverages, edibles and oral products.
DehydraTECH is suitable for use with a wide range of product formats including pharmaceuticals, nutraceuticals, consumer packaged goods and over-the-counter capsules, pills, tablets and oral suspensions.
Lexaria’s DehydraTECH is designed specifically for formulating and delivering lipophilic (fat-soluble) drugs and active ingredients. DehydraTECH increases their effectiveness and improves the way active pharmaceutical ingredients enter the bloodstream. The major benefits to a subject ingesting a DehydraTECH-enabled drug or consumer product can be summarized by the
- Speeds up delivery – the effects of the product are felt by the subject in just minutes.
- Increases bioavailability – the technology is much more effective at delivering a drug or product into the bloodstream.
- Increases brain absorption – animal testing suggests significant improvement in the quantity of drug delivered across the blood-brain barrier.
- Improves drug potency – more of the ingested product is made available to the body, so lower doses are required to achieve the desired effect.
- Reduces drug administration cost – lower doses mean lower overall drug costs.
- Masks unwanted taste – the technology eliminates or reduces the need for sweeteners.
Lexaria has demonstrated in animal studies a propensity for DehydraTECH technology to elevate the quantity of drug delivered across the blood-brain barrier by as much as 1,900 percent, initiating additional new patent applications and opening possibilities for improved drug delivery.
Since 2016, DehydraTECH has repeatedly demonstrated, with cannabinoids and nicotine, the ability to increase bio-absorption by up to five to 10 times, reduce time of onset from one to two hours to just minutes, and mask unwanted tastes. The technology is to be further evaluated for additional orally administered bioactive molecules, including antivirals, cannabinoids, vitamins,
non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) and nicotine.
- Lexaria Bioscience Corp. has disruptive proprietary technology protected by a broad international patent portfolio.
- The company has been issued 27 patents in the U.S., European Union and other countries, with more than 50 patents pending around the world.
- Lexaria’s DehydraTECH technology has a vast worldwide, multi-billion-dollar total addressable market, including multiple rapid-growth segments like cannabinoid and noncombustible nicotine delivery.
- The company has licensed its fat-soluble active molecule delivery technology to multiple established companies for use in their products.
- Lexaria completed an uplisting to Nasdaq Capital Markets and an $11 million financing in January 2021.
Lexaria Bioscience Corp. (NASDAQ: LEXX) Looking to Provide Bioavailable Oral Treatment for Hypertension, Mitigate Effects of High Blood Pressure
September 21, 2022 9:00 AM
Last week, the White House suggested that President Joe Biden would not be making any cannabis policy moves ahead of the midterms. When asked about whether Biden would discuss cannabis before the election, Karine Jean-Pierre, the administration’s press secretary, acknowledged that questions on the president’s plans for marijuana policy had come up on numerous occasions in press briefings.
- Lexaria is a biotechnology company pursuing the enhancement of the bioavailability of a diverse and broad range of active pharmaceutical ingredients (“APIs”)
- The company has developed the patented DehydraTECH(TM) drug delivery technology, which has been shown to deliver more API at a faster rate than controls
- Lexaria’s DehydraTECH pipeline includes DehydraTECH-CBD for the treatment of hypertension
- Through pre-clinical studies, DehydraTECH-CBD has been shown to decrease systolic blood pressure among hypertensive volunteers
- The company intends to file an Investigational New Drug (“IND”) application and has already received confirmation that the FDA agrees with its proposed abbreviated pathway under section 501(b)(2)
Oral delivery remains the preferred route of administering drugs among cooperating and conscious patients. But some drugs do not have the desired physicochemical and pharmacokinetic characteristics that favor oral administration, an issue that is linked to poor bioavailability. This has often led to the use of other routes or prompted the administration of higher doses, with the
latter causing toxicity concerns and risks tied to erratic and unpredictable responses. These challenges, coupled with the fact that more than 90% of therapeutic compounds are known to possess oral bioavailability limitations, have necessitated research that explores ways to enhance oral drug bioavailability (https://cnw.fm/5fM38).
To view the full source article, visit: https://www.cnw.fm/iJx8O
The High Lifestyle Show
10/7 - 10/9 – Boxboro Regency Hotel, Boxborough, MA
The HighLifeStyleShow will be a gathering of brands, dispensaries, distributors, growers, artists, performers and consumers to converge in the HighLifeStyle of B2B and B2C in a resort hotel conference setting with exhibitors, vendors, concerts, comedy, education, celebrities, socializing and networking.
With medicinal and recreational now accessible in Massachusetts for adults over 21, users have choices of where to purchase their products and will eventually choose their favorite brands and retail outlets just like with other consumer products. Most other canna events are only aimed at the “industry” involving manufacturers and medication. We expect to be a place for cannabis brands and dispensaries to market to reach potential customers and new business relationships.
- We will offer exhibitors and vendors a fun environment to meet qualified customers who are interested in canna related products, services and creative arts. There will be no THC products for sale on property.
- As a business conference, one of our goals is to have businesses, entrepreneurs and brands to be able to meet the distributors, retailers and consumers in an entertaining, safe environment. Retail distributors can promote their products and retail locations in order to compete to attract new customers. Artists can find new fans. Craft growers can network
to find supplies they may need to be an at-home botanist, or find outlets or job opportunities.
- As a LifeStyle conference, we will be showcasing all aspects of the canna inspired culture including health, wellness, music, art, clothing, literature, food, cultivation, supplies, medical, educational and ancillary aspects including cannabis weddings and travel.
- There will be two levels of participation involving access to indoor and outdoor activities. All attendees will be able to access all of the Exhibitors indoors and out.