Willow Biosciences Inc. (CSE: WLLW) is a leading developer of biosynthetic production systems for high-value, plant-derived active pharmaceutical ingredients (“APIs”) and intermediates. The company’s cannabidiol (“CBD”) yeast-based biosynthesis program produces a high yield, ultrapure, low-cost and scalable manufacturing solution for pharmaceutical, food, beverage and personal care consumers of CBD. The company is headquartered in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
Willow’s proprietary yeast-based lab strains produce CBD, tetrahydrocannabinol (“THC”), and cannabigerol (“CBG”), as well as certain minor and novel cannabinoids. The company’s expertise in the esoteric field of biosynthesis and in delivering commercial fermentation pathways for the production of pharmaceutical-grade compounds grew from its origins in opiate research. Willow recently delivered a de novo biosynthesis pathway in yeast for thebaine, a key precursor API used as a feedstock in the manufacture of semi-synthetic opiates such as naloxone (used to reverse opioid overdose) and several common analgesics. Led by Chief Scientific Officer Dr. Peter Facchini, Willow’s research team discovered and patented numerous previously unknown genes coding for core catalytic pathway enzymes, as well as a number of additional non-pathway, yet commercially-essential, accessory genes.
- Exclusive joint development agreement with Noramco, the world’s largest producer of chemically synthesized cannabinoids and pharmaceutical APIs, to commercialize biosynthesized CBD
- Willow is fully funded with $37 million and expects to have more than $15 million on the balance sheet once the biosynthesized CBD isolate is ready to sell as a product
- Experienced research team with historical expertise in developing a biosynthesized API derived from the opium poppy, from the bench level to commercial scale-up
- Established laboratories in Calgary and Vancouver, Canada, and in San Francisco, all undergoing expansion
- U.S. CBD market potential in excess of $66 billion by 2025 for cannabinoid-based APIs and CBD consumer retail goods
About CannabisNewsWire (CNW)
CannabisNewsWire (CNW) is a multifaceted financial news and publishing company that delivers a new generation of social communication solutions, news aggregation and syndication, and enhanced news release services. Leveraging a professional team of journalists and writers, CNW introduces private and public companies to a wide audience of investors, consumers, journalists and the general public via social media and a rapidly expanding network of over 5,000 key distribution outlets. Cutting through information overload, CNW's innovative and proprietary systems clearly and succinctly deliver its clients much needed visibility, recognition and brand awareness. CNW is where news, content and information converge.